SINGAPORE – A public training marketing campaign to advertise wholesome consuming and way of life habits within the Malay/Muslim neighborhood was launched on Sunday (April 11) forward of the fasting month of Ramadan, which begins on April 13.
Through the two-month lengthy marketing campaign, the Well being Promotion Board (HPB) will encourage the neighborhood to devour much less sugar and select more healthy meals choices throughout Ramadan and Hari Raya Puasa, which falls on Might 13.
HPB stated it is going to amplify the message of “Kita Dah Cukup Manis, Kurangkan OK?” (“We’re candy sufficient, Cut back it OK?”) each on-line and offline.
It’s going to additionally collaborate with its neighborhood companions to encourage individuals to give up smoking.
On Sunday, Parliamentary Secretary for Well being Rahayu Mahzam kicked off the marketing campaign by noting the neighborhood’s resilience in overcoming the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic.
“We have now come to grasp through the pandemic that the issues which might be necessary to us are household and well being.
“This Ramadan and Hari Raya interval is a time for reflection, a time for celebration and a time for being with household. I hope we will work collectively in the direction of creating more healthy habits.
“That is one thing I hope the Malay/Muslim neighborhood will embrace,” she stated at an occasion held at The Malayan Council restaurant in Bussorah Road.
Earlier this yr, Ms Rahayu famous that the general share of Malays with diabetes had, over a three-year interval, elevated from 11.6 per cent to 14.4 per cent in 2020.
Through the marketing campaign, HPB will even attain out to the neighborhood through mainstream and social media.
There will likely be digital talks as properly, by ex-smokers working in partnership with Malay/Muslim organisations and mosques.
The ex-smokers will share their expertise and supply recommendations on steps that may be taken to attain a smoke-free way of life and the position relations can play to construct a supportive atmosphere.
People who smoke trying to kick the behavior can join I Give up 28-Day Countdown programme through healthhub.sg/korangok.
HPB will even be collaborating with Tabung Amal Aidilfitri Belief Fund and [email protected] in Jurong, Pasir Ris, Tampines and Woodlands to distribute decrease sugar drinks, brown rice, brown rice vermicelli, more healthy oil and more healthy snacks as a part of grocery packs.
These packs will likely be given to about 5,500 households throughout Ramadan.
Well being Ambassadors will even be deployed at neighborhood occasions in Bukit Batok East Neighborhood Membership to encourage the neighborhood to enroll in useful screening, smoking cessation programmes, psychological wellness talks and bodily actions.
Extra data is accessible on the Korang Okay Fb web page at www.facebook.com/korangok
TIPS FOR HEALTHY LIVING
From breaking quick by consuming water as a substitute of sugary drinks to choosing wholegrain meals, listed below are some more healthy choices:
1. When breaking quick, begin by consuming water to rehydrate. This will even scale back the chance of over-indulging when consuming.
2. Go for reduced-sugar selfmade drinks corresponding to ‘kopi kosong’ (espresso with no sugar) or ‘teh kurang manis’ (tea that’s much less candy). Regardless of having diminished sugar, these too ought to be consumed carefully.
3. When consuming earlier than the beginning of the quick, go for wholegrain meals, corresponding to brown rice and wholemeal bread, as these can replenish the abdomen for an extended interval. Fruit and veggies that are wealthy in fibre are additionally important throughout fasting.
4. Meals consumed when breaking quick ought to be well-balanced and nutritious, overlaying all main meals teams: fruit and veggies, brown rice and wholemeal bread, in addition to meat and others (corresponding to dairy).
5. Regardless of being a superb supply of vitality, dates that are historically eaten when breaking quick ought to be consumed carefully as they’re excessive in sugar.
6. When cooking at dwelling, swap common merchandise with those who carry the More healthy Alternative Image. These are usually decrease in saturated fats, sugar and sodium.
7. Use herbs and spices for flavour as a substitute of salt, sauces and seasoning.
8. When getting ready rice dishes, combine 20 per cent of brown rice with white rice. Consuming a food regimen wealthy in wholegrains, corresponding to brown rice, might decrease the danger of coronary heart illness, diabetes and sure cancers.
9. Use more healthy cooking strategies corresponding to steaming, grilling, stewing, roasting or stir-frying as a substitute of deep frying.
10. Swap high-calorie meals corresponding to deep-fried dishes and gadgets containing curry and gravy with lean proteins, fruits, greens, broth-based soups and wholegrains. These meals are increased in fibre and water content material, which can maintain the abdomen full for longer.